Day 14: Doors, mirrors, IVA trim

Doors

The hood is really good for one thing, and that’s lining up the doors correctly. I used duct tape over the roof and half way down the doors in 3 strips, once I’d got the positioning right.

In effect, the roof has a door sealing channel. The front part of the door goes inside of this channel, and the back part, after the triangular cut out, goes outside of the channel.

Once the hinges were attached to the window frame it was straightforward marking two drill points on the doors themselves. The trusty awl came out to mark an indentation in the steel bar that runs inside the door frame part of the door, and I drilled 5mm holes, but first with a smaller pilot bit.

Once attached back on the car there is a little fine adjustment you can make on the window frame hinge holes. I needed to do this on both sides to stop the doors from drooping a little too much.

Then the escutcheon brackets could be lined up exactly, meaning I could finally drill through them and complete the riveting along the inner lower door edge.

The final holes to drill in the car are for the rear straps for the doors, fixed using a Duradot fastener via yet another rivet into a chassis tube!

Mirrors

It’s a bit annoying, but everyone has to jump through the same hoops. Basically, the mirrors should be mounted to the doors, allowing for the doors to swing fully open against the bonnet. However, to pass IVA, the mirrors need to be mounted to a stalk that is attached to the window frame. Once its passed the test, I can revert back to the more typical mounting. Until then, every time you open the door, it hits the mirror.

It’s a simple fitting, but the only problem is that my mirror stalks did not fit over their mounting bolts. The inner diameter of the hole was too small.

So I gripped each mounting stalk in my vice between two pieces of wood, and drilled out the hole a little.

IMG_2139IMG_2140IMG_2141IMG_2142

IVA Trim

Oh my god, the easiest jobs are sometimes the most painful. Fitting IVA trim around the fog and reversing lights is not easy. There is not really a big enough gap around either to be able to make it all of the way around each.

I tried with the lenses off, and on, then partially on. In the end I settled for “almost” screwed in, and with lots of rubber lubricant. It does make a positive difference. Having said that, on each of my lights, one side was so tight that even this wouldn’t work, so I trimmed the rear edge of the trim, and used a fair amount of super glue to finish the job.

I lost an hour of my life on what should have been a 5 minute job…

Some of the other IVA trim I am going to have to check with Caterham. The exhaust trim and bolt head protector caps were straightforward, as were 2 of the front suspension caps. But the other bolt heads that need to be covered did not seem to have a cap size that fitted. So I have ignored these temporarily.

I heard that the wing repeater light cable needs a grommet (or rubber protection) around its exit point out of the wing stay. Thanks to a photo from Simon Calvert, I also used a little washer hose cable tied to it.

IMG_2154I seem to be missing the front bonnet catch protectors, but have added the rear ones. Things for the bin immediately after a successful test result!

IMG_2157

Here is the exhaust protection, I used scuttle trim and 3 caps:

And then some caps to protect the brake hose connectors as they enter the side skins. Or to protect a pedestrian from injury if their body was to go through the gap between the front spring and upper wishbone…

And then finally I filed a chamfer on the 4 leading edges of the wiper blades. Once I’d done that, I applied a little smooth black Hammerite over the bare metal I had filed down to.

Wing Protection

After owning my previous Caterham for years, I picked on a couple of star cracks on the rear wheel arches due to sharp stones sticking to warm tyres and being flung off and literally smashing a crack that appears through the gel coat on the outer wing surface.

So I decided a long time ago that I would apply some form of stone chip protection. I used Dinitrol 445 based on a few others recommendation. I sprayed it into a bowl, and then used a pain brush to apply to the underside of each wing. I used most of a bottle on all wings, so hopefully enough. I may reapply a further layer, and have a spare bottle. It basically dries to a rubberised coating, and is very thin but allegedly protects. Time will tell!

IMG_2151

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s